PNBPT Historic Boats
Other Boats History
What's New?
BMPT Archive

Terms and Conditions of use

Privacy Policy

What's New? - From the Yardarm cont.

Previous Yardarm News : 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 (2009 - 2012) > 7 (2013 -2014)

'Nasty' - The Norwegian " Skarv"
Courtesy Ted Else and Phil Simons.

At a decisive time in the decision-making by NATO, for the needs of Coastal Defence for 'Western Europe' - the unique "Nasty" class vessel was designed and built in Norway as a 'Private Venture' in 1958. A decision had already been made, by the British Gov't, to disband its own Coastal Forces element within the Royal Navy and apart from France, who had decided to leave the NATO, the responsibility for 'tactical' Western Coastal Defence, against any threatened future Soviet expansion, was passed to Norway.

From this original design, a development and building program was begun for 12 craft, the first of which - named "Tjeld"- (pennant number P343), gave its name as the Official class name. "Skarv" (P344), was the second built of this first batch. (All launched 1959-60) A second batch of 8 similar craft were ordered under this class name of "Tjeld", being launched between 1962/3)

Collectively however they all became widely known as the 'Nasty' class, several were built for West Germany (later transferred to Turkey), Greece and also the USA built many under licence (some to be used on covert missions in Vietnam and Cambodia).

Like the British 'Dark' class - they were powered by 2 x Napier Deltic Diesels, (now up rated and delivering 6200bhp), on two Shafts. With a LOA of 75'6", a full loaded weight of 76t - gave a top speed of 45knts.

(This craft should not be confused with the later "Skarv" - P990 - launched 1977 - built to a totally different design at 120ft and displacing 155t - the "Hauk" class - fully modernised and still in commission today).

Ex P344 "Skarv" - Southampton 2006.
Photo Courtesy Richard Hellyer.

Danish Brave class P513 (Sohesten) and P514 (Sohunden) in Antwerp. 2004. Courtesy Mr Phil Simons.

2 photos above courtesy Mr Flor van Otterdyk.

ST1502 alongside her new Marchwood berth, 28th November 2005.

The end of the Husbands shipyard sheds, as they are demolished 15th October 2005.

(Picture on left - sheds demoilished) Courtesy R Hellyer

ST1502 in front of the Husbands Shipyard sheds on 30th September 2005. Crew David Ross and Terry Ford.

(Right photo-courtesy Southern Daily Echo)

As advised the Trust left the Husbands Shipyard sheds on the 30th September 2005

This picture shows the members, from the left, David Ross, Mike Gilling, Peter Baillie, in the background behind Dainty is Clive Frampton, Richard Hellyer, Terry Ford. They are pushing the last boat, FMD 5004 ex HMS Dainty, out of the sheds, prior to the sheds being demolished.

(Photo courtesy Southern Daily Echo)

Gay Archer enters the water after many years ashore.
Courtesy Ted Else

ST1502 visiting the Hythe Sailing Club Sunday 10th July 2005.

On the 21st June 2005, a delegation consisting of our Chairman Charles du Cane, Ray Hubble and Richard Hellyer travelled to the Imperial War Museum Duxford. Representatives from Coastal Forces Heritage Trust also attended, and a plaque handing the boat to the IWM was exchanged. The boat is now the property of the IWM, and will have a long term and safe home, on view to the public at all times.

(Picutres courtesy of the IWM)

On the 25th May, ST 1502 was wheeled out from the shed at Marchwood, and with the assistance of a crane, launched onto the Solent. All went very well and she was safely moored alongside ready to go, by 1230 on that day.

On the 27th April 2005, we towed MTB71 on her trailer, from the shed at Marchwood. On the 28th April, she was transported from Marchwood to Imperial War Museum Duxford, her new home.


Humber goes home

On the 31st March 2005, we towed RASC Humber on her trailer, from the shed at Marchwood. On the 1st April, her removal trailer arrived and she was transported to her new home, with Mr George Black in Norfolk.

RASC Humber outside the shed at Marchwood, prior to move to Norfolk.
31st March 2005.

RASC Humber on her trailer, with new owner George Black, ready to start the trip to Norfolk, 1st April 2005.

RASC Humber arrives at her new home, Norfolk, 1st April 2005.

Gus departs to a new home, 22/03/05.

Visit the "Boat Histories Gay Class" to see progress on the Gay Archer restoration. Any help from previous crew or those who worked with these boats, will be welcome.

Queen Gull leaves the Trust for her new home as part of the Classic Motor Boat Association, February 2005.

Rosie, 25ft fast motor boat, goes home to her original owner. February 2005.

Issotta returns to Hampshire County Council 26/01/05

20 cylinder Mercedes Benz engine ex German e-boat, leaves the Trust for a new home. 02.02.05.

Napier Deltic engine returns to the Napier Heritage Trust
click here

The beginning of the 5004 restoration programme, December 2004. Due for completion March 2005 - click here

MT2800 and ST433 are now on the Boats page - click here

S130 work proceeds apace - click here

S130 was safely towed to Plymouth on 6th/7th November 2004, from Southampton. She passed the postion where the Slapton Sands raid took place, en route. She lay at bouys until the 25th November 2004, in Plymouth,when she was put on a cradle and slipped at Mashfords Shipyard, Cremyll, Cornwall. click here

Countdown to departure

Our President Gus Halliday cuts a cake at the end of the 2004 AGM, to mark the start of countdown to our departure...11 months and 30 days to go. 62 members attended a very successfull AGM. 02 September 2004 at Marchwood.

Previous Yardarm News : 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 (2009 - 2012) > 7 (2013 -2014)


visitors since 15th February 2004